STEP 1: TEAMS
Charleston R-I teams monitor winter weather events days in advance. When a weather event threatens the region, they activate emergency operations procedures and begin surveying district bus routes during overnight hours.
The following teams are involved in these decisions:
1. DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION
2. SAFETY TEAM
3. TRANSPORTATION TEAM
STEP 2: FACTORS
The following factors help Charleston R-I decide whether to cancel school or not:
1. ROAD / BUS ROUTE CONDITIONS
2. STUDENT SAFETY AT BUS STOPS
3. STUDENT / STAFF / COMMUNITY SAFETY ON CAMPUS: This includes our ability to get parking lots, walkways, and entrances cleared and/or salted.
STEP 3: ALERTS
Anytime school is cancelled or delayed, there are several ways Charleston R-I will let the public know:
1. AUTOMATED CALL TO PARENTS: This auto-call will come from (573) 290-2825. The system will make 3 attempts to contact you, and it will also leave a voicemail if one is available.
2. AUTOMATED EMAIL TO PARENTS: If an email address has been provided.
3. AUTOMATED SMS TEXT MESSAGE TO PARENTS: For parents who have opted-in to receive text alerts on or after November 15.
4. LOCAL TELEVISION AND RADIO: Including but not limited to these stations: KFVS, WPSD, C106.1 FM, KZIM 960AM.
5. SOCIAL MEDIA: Including the District’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
6. OUR WEBSITE: www.charelstonbluejays.org