- Enjoy the weather. Cooler weather is a great time to exercise outdoors. Activities such as walking, hiking, cycling, and jogging can be enjoyed outdoors where the weather is cooler and the scenery is beautiful.
- Find ways to stay active when indoors. In the cooler months it can be easier to stay inside and be sedentary. Try walking in place or walking on a treadmill when watching TV. When a commercial comes on, do push-ups or stretching to keep moving. Staying active by doing household chores is another great way to keep moving.
- Dress in layers. When you begin exercising outdoors you may want that extra layer until your body warms up. Be sure you dress in layers so you can pull of a few items as your body warms up.
- Join a gym. When the weather begins to get cooler, joining a local gym can be a great way to stay in shape indoors. Take a tour of your local gyms and ask about membership fees and benefits.
- Make a plan. Mark on a calendar when you plan to exercise and stick to it! It takes about 2 months for a plan to become routine, so start now to stay successful through the cooler months.
Source: Prepared by Mississippi County Health Dept.