Around 3:30pm, Warren E. Hearnes Elementary (WEH) and Charleston Upper Elementary (CUE) buildings experienced a power outage caused by a blown transformer. 
The CUE 4-6th grade social, which was already in progress, was cancelled, and parents were notified to pick up their students.
Then, as power to the buildings was being restored, an HVAC unit malfunctioned at WEH, causing the Pod D and Pod E hallway to become smoke-filled and the fire alarm to sound. School administrators and maintenance staff responded quickly, as did police and fire units. After determining which HVAC unit was the issue, it was disconnected from power and will be evaluated.
At this time, all buildings are back to normal and ready for students to return tomorrow morning. Superintendent Jamarcus Williams would like to thank Charleston DPS, AmerenUE, administrators, and maintenance staff for responding.